Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Corrupting the Young

I spent the day reading Catcher in the Rye to five year olds O_O In my defense, they didn't understand a word I was saying. Some of the girls were poking through my bag and came across said book. They were impressed that it was entirely in English and that I could read AND understand it! >_> So they begged me to read a few lines. And then they begged me to read a bit more. And then I ended up reading the whole chapter to them.

I asked what they were getting from it, because my kids are good but they ain't THAT good. They told me they like how I read. I totally get it from my mom. We don't just say the words on the page we read them. We act it out. When a character is angry, we speak fast and harsh. When they are contemplative we speak slow and hesitant. You subtly change your voice for different characters. I remember being so sad when I was too old to have my mom read me bedtime stories because she made them so entertaining. I'm glad to find that I have the same talent that she does. They also told me my voice was pretty. Aw. Look at the little rascals trying to worm their way into my heart!

(And I did give the kids the roughest of overviews on what the story was about. The G version.)

Wheee 久しぶり White Russians for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment